Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About PlaneTree Health Library
Who we are:
PlaneTree Health Library's mission is to guide the public to free, trustworthy, and accurate health and medical information. Based in Silicon Valley, it is an independent, nonprofit, online patient and consumer health library. Information and programs are offered to the public free of charge.
We believe that when informed, people can make better choices about their health, can better advocate for themselves and their loved ones, and can more easily partner with their health care providers for better outcomes. Expert librarians select and provide links on our websites to the most trustworthy and accurate medical information that is freely available. In our programs we provide context for that information, and teach how to spot fake news and identify bias so that people can be more educated consumers of health information.
PlaneTree Health Library has served Santa Clara County continually since 1989. Our library collections focus on the health information needs of those communities, especially on health aging and common issues of later life - but those concerns are universal, and our materials are valuable to people throughout the U.S. and beyond. (For more of the organization's history and our projects, see here.) PlaneTree Health Library is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
How we work together:
At present PlaneTree Health Library has four staff (our Executive Director + three part-time) who all work remotely, as does our Board of Directors. For in-person activities, we call on our many volunteers (and also staff and members of our Board of Directors, as available).
Currently recruiting: Outreach Coordinator
Hours: part-time, non-exempt (hourly), approx. 15 - 20 hours/week
Schedule: flexible, depending on workload and availability (Pacific time zone).
Pay range: $20-$25/hour, depending on experience.
Location: working remotely.
Open: immediately. Review of applications will extend through July 26, and continue until the position is filled.
PlaneTree Health Library is an equal-opportunity employer.
We are looking for an outreach professional whose strong organizational skills, social media expertise, and talent for online engagement are matched by an advocacy for community health and/or senior health, and by a knack for orchestrating successful collaborative projects.
The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with other PlaneTree Health Library staff.
This person will:
- Manage social media outreach for PlaneTree Health Library (including analyzing performance);
- Maintain our community events calendar;
- Assist with content and editorial work on our monthly e-newsletter (PlaneTalk);
- Promote and support our public programs (managing advance registration, assist during webinars, and handling follow-up contacts);
- Work with the ED and other staff to turn strategic priorities into action plans, and to successfully implement them;
- Assist with various administrative tasks (e.g., maintain a relationship management database, set up organizational processes and workflows) as assigned;
- Coordinate and supervise volunteers as at the organization grows.
To apply for our Outreach Coordinator position, send an email with:
- up to date resumé, and
- a letter of application that addresses
- how you meet the necessary skills, experience, experience, education and other requisites for this position,
- why you would be a good fit for PlaneTree Health Library, and
- how this position connects to your goals and values.
Outreach Coordinator requirements
The successful candidate will have these necessary skills and experience:
- Is an intuitive and independent problem-solver.
- Is able to work solo, staying focused to successfully work remotely; while at the same time knowing when to bring in coworkers, and when collaboration makes for better results.
- Has outstanding organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks, with attention to detail.
- Shows excellent time management.
- Has superlative interpersonal skills, both with coworkers and with potential partner organizations.
- Takes a respectful approach towards diverse and multicultural communities, particularly regarding issues of equity in healthcare.
- Is able to keep sensitive and confidential information secure, and to protect privacy with regards to health information.
- Has demonstration the ability to build relationships in virtual (digital) spaces.
- Has strong research skills.
- Brings flexibility, creativity, and a sense of fun to their work.
Educational and other requirements
- 3-5 years experience in a digital marketing, outreach, or communications position with a non-profit organization or educational institution, preferably reporting to senior leadership.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication.
- Familiarity with nonprofit organization practices and priorities.
- Adept with digital platforms, especially: social media (FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) and their analytics; Google Drive suite (Docs, Sheets, Forms); conversion between different file types; and using Zoom effectively.
- Basic understanding of how search engines work, and some familiarity with searching in the major publicly-accessible U.S. healthcare databases.
- Equipped with adequate technology to work from home (ISP, devices, etc.).
- Personal experience with the diverse communities in the Bay Area region, particularly Silicon Valley/ Santa Clara County. It is not necessary to be currently living in this region, however.
- College-level courses in healthcare or human biology; coursework in public health or social work is a definite advantage.
- Familiarity with scientific research publications in general, and professional healthcare literature in particular; able to decipher medical jargon and professional terminology.
- Bilingual language skills (preferably English-Spanish, -Chinese, or -Vietnamese).
The text on this page is copyright PlaneTree Health Library, licensed under Creative Commons CC BY-SA. Linked contents are the responsibility of their creators / copyright holders.